Makes: 8 Servings (2 tacos each)
1 medium carrot, small sweet potato, or small zucchini (grated and dried)
¼ medium head lettuce
2 large tomatoes
7 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
1 (15½-ounce) can low-sodium pinto beans, drained
Non-stick cooking spray
1-pound lean ground turkey
1 (15½-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, no added salt
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
16 corn tortillas
- Rinse and shred lettuce. Rinse, core, and chop tomatoes.
- Coat a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium high heat. Add turkey and brown.
- Add grated veggies, beans, canned tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, warm the tortillas on medium heat.
- Add 2 Tablespoons cooked meat mixture to each corn tortilla. Top each with 1 Tablespoon grated cheese, 1 Tablespoon shredded lettuce, and 1 Tablespoon fresh tomatoes.
Total Cost: $2.18
Serving Cost: $0.27