Sweet Potato Patties
Makes: 6 servings
3 medium-large sweet potatoes
1 cup bread crumbs (crushed)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Using your hands or a vegetable scrub brush, wash the sweet potatoes under cool water to remove any dirt.
- To prepare for microwave, prick the potatoes all over with a fork to avoid them from bursting open.
- Microwave the sweet potatoes on high for ~5-6 minutes until soft. Turn them over mid-way.
- Allow to cool; then remove skins by hand.
- Put the sweet potatoes in a medium bowl. Mash them with a fork.
- Crush the bread crumbs on a cutting board with a rolling pin or jar.
- Put the crushed bread crumbs in a small bowl.
- Shape sweet potato into 6 small patties.
- Roll each patty in the crushed crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Brown each patty on both sides in the oil.
For variety, add some finely chopped apple. For added fiber, try whole wheat bread crumbs.
Total Cost: $1.40
Serving Cost: $0.23