Portuguese Kale Soup
Makes: 6 Servings
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
8 cups water
1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
1-pound potatoes, cut into ½” cubes
1⁄2 bunch kale, stem removed and chopped
1⁄4 pound reduced-fat turkey kielbasa sausage, sliced
1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Heat oil in large pot on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and carrots. Sauté 10 minutes.
- Add water, and hot pepper flakes. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes to boiling water. Cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Add kale and sausage to soup. Cook uncovered 5 minutes.
- Add pepper to taste. Serve.
Total Cost: $3.56
Serving Cost: $0.59