Hungry Brother’s Stew
Makes: 8 Servings
1 large butternut squash, peeled
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
2 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Fill a large shallow baking pan with 2 inches of water. Place squash halves, cut sides up, in the pan and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork. Let the squash cool, then cut into cubes.
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium high heat, add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except the squash, quinoa and cilantro, and bring to simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the cooked squash and quinoa and cook for 5 minutes more. Spoon into bowls, top with cilantro (if using), and serve.
Total Cost: $8.25
Serving Cost: $1.03