Makes: 4 servings
3⁄4-pound ground beef (lean, 10% fat)
1⁄2 cup green pepper (chopped)
1⁄2 onion (large, chopped)
1⁄2 cup celery (chopped)
2⁄3 cup kidney beans (canned, low sodium, drained and rinsed)
1⁄2 cup corn (sweet)
1 can tomato sauce (8 oz, no salt)
1 cup tomatoes (chopped fresh)
1 dash black pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
- Place ground beef in a skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Brown meat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to break it into pieces. Drain fat and blot meat with paper towels. Transfer beef into a colander and rinse with very hot water to further remove fat.
- Add green pepper, onion, and celery. Cook until softened.
- Add beans, corn, tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, pepper, garlic and chili powder.
- Cook mixture over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot in bowls. Or serve as a dip with baked tortilla chips or on a bun.
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Total Cost: $4.83
Serving Cost: $1.21