Makes: 8 servings
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup onion (chopped)
1⁄2 cup celery (chopped)
1⁄2 cup green or red bell pepper (chopped, optional)
1 cup mushrooms (fresh sliced, or 1- 4 ounce can mushrooms, drained)
1 cup pearl barley (uncooked)
1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon (or beef or chicken, low sodium)
- Place a medium pan over medium heat; add vegetable oil, onion and celery. Cook, stirring often until onion is soft.
- Add bell pepper (if using), mushrooms and pearl barley. Stir well.
- Add water and bouillon and stir to dissolve bouillon. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cover pan.
- Cook for 50 to 60 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- This can be used as a side dish.
- Stuffing for pork chops or chicken.
- Or add 2 cups of any chopped cooked meat during the last fifteen minutes of cooking and serve as a main dish meal.
- If using quick-cooking barley the recipe can be prepared in 15 minutes or less. Reduce water to 2 cups and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
Per Serving: $0.25